You are here: Home > family, Food > Jammin’ With the Kids

Jammin’ With the Kids

imh_6001

I had inspiration from two friends to start this mini-project.  My good friend, Carmen loaded me up on jam when we first moved to California.  She sent me more jars than I could count of delicious jam(I’m sure the postage was out of this world).  I just opened the very last one and was in a panic, thinking I might soon be jamless.  Combine that situation with my good friend Amber, who was just talking to me about how easy it is to make jam and voila, you get my mini-project.

imh_6005I finally made freezer jam for the first time in my life.  It was actually quite quick and painless.  People have been telling me this for years, yet I find I have never taken the plunge.  I let the kiddos help me and I think it made everything even more fun, and a little more messy.

imh_6006I didn’t notice until the last strawberry, that as Annie was passing strawberries to Hudson for washing, she was first taking a bite out of the bottom(Here is hoping Annie stands the test of strawberry dirt).  I guess I shouldn’t be expecting any managerial positions anytime soon.  She was standing right next to me.  As a result of Annie’s antics, any jam we were planning on sharing will remain in our posession…sorry.  I actually didn’t make very much anyway, just in case I bombed.

imh_6022

All in all, I think this FHE on food storage was a success!!  At least the jam I couldn’t fit in a container was really good on vanilla ice cream.

10 Responses to “Jammin’ With the Kids”

1. Bryn says:

That’s cool! Soooo, how do you do it? I have been thinking about trying it.

2. MIranda says:

Hey! I’m making strawberry freezer jam tomorrow! I grew up on it and CAN’T have anything else and I REFUSE for Bryce to eat anything else. It’s just too dang good! It also helps when my mom brings delicious strawberries from California too…can’t beat it!

3. Jessica says:

@ Bryn, the jam is actually really easy: strawberries, water, sugar and pectin. I pulled a recipe from online, but once I bought the box of pectin I found that everyone pretty much uses the same recipe. Hey, and Ralph’s is having their 99 cent sale on strawberries this week.
    NO COOK STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM
    2 c. crushed strawberries
    4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. water
    1 box Sure Jell fruit pectin
    Thoroughly mix fruit and sugar in large bowl, let stand 10 minutes. Mix water and fruit pectin in small saucepan, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in fruit, continue stirring 3 minutes. Ladle quickly into 6 1 cup containers, cover at once with tight lids. Let stand overnight then store in freezer.

4. Sara says:

I love strawberry freezer jam, and just had some this morning with a homemade roll. Yummy!!!

5. Audrey Miller says:

Looks like a bunch of fun! Annie really hasn’t held back her “terrible two-ness” has she? What a cutie

6. Kim W. says:

You inspire me! Glad it worked out so well.

7. I was just going to ask for the recipe but you already posted it! Thanks!

8. Emily says:

Good Job! I have yet to take the plunge. Let us know how it turn out

9. Kim says:

Great job Jessica. Yummo

10. Hila says:

Cool! I did jelly canning for the first time in September, and I’m looking forward to doing it again this year. Blackberries are the free fruit up here that grow like weeds everywhere :).