You are here: Home > kiddos > The Magic of Chalk

The Magic of Chalk

With the fabulous So Cal climate chalk has very quickly become a favorite.  As a result Hudson has become quite the tic-tac-toester.  It’s a cat’s game with him everytime and believe me…I don’t go easy on him.  He has taken to writing the alphabet and writing every word he knows how to spell over and over.  Needless to say the patio is sporting a colorful “the, and, it , play” rug.  This morning after about 25 grueling tic-tac-toe games Hudson makes up a new game where I draw bubbles and he draws L-shaped guns to pop my bubbles.  I proceed to draw bubbles everywhere and he follows behind me making shooting noises to accompany his Ls.  At this point I start varying my bubble shape and draw one that is fairly small.  He looks at the bubble and then to me and says,  “Gee mom, I need a magnifying glass to see that one.”  He then draws a magnifying glass and then a little gun and bursts my bubble.  Oh the magic of chalk.

8 Responses to “The Magic of Chalk”

1. Matt says:

This used to be one of my favorite parts of Captain Kangaroo:

That’s all I could picture. I suppose this is where everyone tells me they have no idea what/who Captain Kangaroo was!

2. Kim says:

Synnova’s comment is, “I love chalk”. This last week we have also found the joy in chalk. All the kids on our street (all of about 5 kids) took over our road and drew a town called Moonville and other various characters. They covered the entire street between our homes. What a great, cheap, creative way to spend an afternoon.

3. Kim says:

Oh, forgot our chalk tip. Have the kids lay down and draw around them. Then have them draw themselves in their outline. It is fun to see how they see themselves.

4. Miranda says:

Hey! You found me and I’m so happy! I actually have been wondering about you! We are back in Provo unfortunately…Justin is in his second year of law school. It’s sad I konw. Fun to have contact with you though!

5. Jessica says:

I love it! For Halloween you could even have them pose in crazy positions to look like they are dead! If you want to keep the chalk outline look, you could even go over it with masking tape. Nothing like interesting dead bodies leading up to you porch!!

6. Kim says:

Funny you mention that. Our neighbors drew the chalk outlines on our drive way while we were away as a practical joke last Halloween. They also switched their carved pumpkins with ours. That was pretty good because we didn’t notice it right off. There is nothing like letting those you love know how much you love them with a little practical joke.

7. Kim Miller says:

Love it!!! He is so funny!! I remember him playing with a magnify glass at my house!!

8. Jessica says:

I think that is how he even knows what one is